Once it became clear I wouldn’t be coming back to Finland over the christmas holidays a challenge appeared: what do I do instead? No way in hell was I staying by myself at the towers in Pune over christmas. I have to go somewhere, staying still would only get me down. But where should I go?
One of the areas I had planned to explore during my visit here is Kerala, a place of lush jungles and serene beaches. And, I figured, now is as good a time as any. So I booked flights for 22.12. to Thiruvananthapuram (also known as Trivandrum, slightly easier to pronounce) in South Kerala and back 2.1. from Kochi in the North.
Now all I have to do is fill in the gaps. Here’s the stuff I want to fit in:
- A few nights by the beach in Kovalam.
- A visit to Kanyakumari, where the three oceans meet at the feet of the Thiruvalluvar statue. This is also the southernmost point of mainland India.
- A night or two on a houseboat, out on the backwaters. Chef included.
- A couple of nights in Munnar. Don’t know what’s out there but they say it’s amazing.
- New Year’s carnival in Kochi.
I’ve got a few reservations in already and am working on the rest. With the trip to Nepal less than a week behind me it might seem like I’m having a hard time staying put. But hey, it’s the holidays after all, gotta go somewhere, right?