While getting vaccinations I had a discussion about health hazards in the destination country, and here’s what the good doctor had to say:
- Don’t eat veggies unless they have been thoroughly rinsed or heated.
- Needless to say, also make sure any meat in your food has been properly prepared. If Gordon Ramsay would say it’s raw enough to walk out on its own, don’t eat it.
- At sunset, cover your legs. Mosquitos carrying the dengue virus are everywhere, and getting the dengue fever can suck really bad.
- Treat the ground as if it was covered in a microfilm of filth. If you’ve touched something that has been in contact with the ground, keep your fingers away from your mouth.
- See a cute street dog? Don’t touch it. They carry diseases, possibly rabies and can bite you for being so gullible.
- When buying water, avoid small shops. Even though it’s bottled it doesn’t have to mean it isn’t from the closest river. Check the bottom for sediment.
- If you have the shits and your temp has been over 38 C for more than a day – go see a doctor!
- Dangers lurk in sweet water – stay out!
- Biggest health hazard is still traffic!